During the summer of 1954, Vancouver School of Arts instructor Reg Dixon travelled around British Columbia in search of raw materials for his pottery. During his stop in Penticton he offered to teach pottery classes to interested locals. Louise Schwenk, a local artist and orchardist, was one of those students. Inspired, and showing immediate promise as a potter, she attended the VSA the following year at the behest of Dixon himself. to further study pottery and art.
Over the following decade, Louise Schwenk and her husband Adolph, built up one of the most respected potteries in Canada. With Louise throwing at the wheel and Adolph glazing and firing their wares, their pottery would receive much recognition - locally and nationally and ultimately a Senior Craftsman Fellowship by the Canada Arts Council in 1966.
Welcome to a brief history of the Schwenk pottery and its place in the British Columbia art lexicon.